Asparagus Parmesan Soup – Rich and creamy asparagus soup on the table in 30 minutes with cheesy parmesan and a hint of lemon!
Say hello to your new best fall-weather friend —> creamy asparagus soup. If that purdy bright green-yellow color isn’t enough to get you on board, just wait til you hear that there’s parmesan cheese and a hint of lemon in that soup. Okay now you’re excited, I can tell.water incident I told you about, the one that happened the very day after we got out new appliances (such luck right?), we were fairly sure we’d be extending the kitchen remodel to include a floor project which, let’s be honest, would be a real bummer now that everything else is DONE.
But like I said, the floors have healed so much better than we thought they would, hardly any warping at all! (Happy dance commences….NOW.) The only thing that could make me happier would be to say that I’ve been using my gorgeous new stainless steel appliances this week but, I haven’t. We’ve been bombarded with stormy weather galore and for natural light photographer, super gloomy skies make for disaster in the photo department. So while the cozy-fall-sweater-loving part of me is elated about the weather, the cook-and-photograph-loving part is a little disappointed.
I did however, snag a few shots of this creamy asparagus soup for you! I whipped this up a few days ago and we had leftovers again last night – SO so good. And healthy you guys. Not real heavy on the cream side – it’s lighter but still creamy and cheesy and wonderful. Feel free to add a little (or a lot) more lemon if you want to really bring that flavor out in the soup. And top it off with as much or as little parmesan cheese as your little heart desires. It’s soup season – let’s CELEBRATE!
- 2 pounds asparagus spears, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- juice of ½ medium lemon
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk - I used fat free half & half (see note)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent and tender. Add asparagus, lemon juice, and chicken/vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until asparagus is very tender.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer back to stock pot.
- Add milk, cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Serve with additional parmesan cheese as desired - enjoy!