Cream cheese chocolate chip brownies – perfectly fudgey, chewy, and RICH cream cheese brownies with milk chocolate chips and chocolate cream cheese frosting!
I’ve been hanging on to this brownie recipe for a while now. Since last year actually! Ha. I love that January joke.
But really, since November – several months now. I’m going through my folder of un-posted recipes and there have been a few (like, those crazy-awesome donuts) that I’ve somehow forgotten about but am now remembering and finally sharing with you.
I’m sorry and you’re welcome.
I am really picky about my cream cheese desserts because if the cream cheese is too strong I find it overpowering and the whole thing becomes a little too savory tasting for me to really accept it as a dessert.
But these brownies. The perfect use of cream cheese in a dessert.
The cream cheese actually makes a double appearance in these brownies: in the brownie (duh) and in the frosting (awwwwwesome).
But my all-time favorite part of these brownies? The chocolate chips. The milk chocolate chips just hit the spot when they show up in the middle of a perfectly thick, chewy, fudgey and rich cream cheese brownie bite.
Gahhhhhhhh. Now I’m really wanting a faceful of brownies.
- ⅔ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- First, prepare the cream cheese batter. In a medium bowl blend together melted chocolate chips, egg, cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl prepare the brownie batter by mixing the melted butter and cocoa powder until smooth. Add eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Add cream cheese batter to brownie batter and mix until incorporated. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter in a greased, foil-lined 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan. (9x9 inch pan will yield thinner brownies) Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool completely.
- When the brownies are cooled, prepare the frosting. Blend together melted chocolate and cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla and mix again until smooth. Gradually mix in powdered sugar. Add milk to thin frosting to a spreadable consistency. Spread on cooled brownies. Allow frosting to set up (at least 30 minutes) before cutting into squares. Store in airtight container.