My first-favorite side option for a hamburger is french fries, hands down. I just love them soooo much! Slathered in fry sauce ideally. (If you don’t know what fry sauce is, you are really missing out and need to visit Utah. No, it is not ketchup. Ketchup is ketchup. Fry sauce is fry sauce)
Ha, speaking of fry sauce… when my husband I were first married we traveled for about six weeks for his work. We stayed in Chicago Illinois, Dallas Texas, and Washington D.C. and I embarrassed my brand-new husband by asking for fry sauce in every single state. They had no idea what I was talking about. How do you people live without fry sauce???? Seriously.
So, french fries are my first-favorite hamburger-side dish (or really my favorite side dish for any dish, ever) but, onion rings are probably second or third on the list. If they are made right. If they are crunchy and seasoned properly (meaning, seasoned at all because sometimes they just have breadcrumbs and no seasoning which is not acceptable) and they must have a rockin dipping sauce. Ketchup will not do. I must have something more.
Thus far, I have never fried in my house. Crazy right? I just don’t fry. But sometimes a girl’s gotta have onion rings. Especially around football time. The oven is often very underestimated in its ability to do more than produce a batch of cookies or a cheesy breakfast casserole. Ovens can also deliver the most delicious, crispy baked-not-fried onion rings. These ones are perfect! Just enough crunch, but there’s still onion in there you know? I’ve ordered onion rings a few times that came so deep-fried that there was only the empty shell left, the onion had disintegrated. True story. But these crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings come out with a crunchy outside and a juicy onion inside. So good! And the dipping sauce? Heaven. So simple yet so amazing! These Oven Baked Onion Rings are game day approved so plan on making a batch pronto!
- 1 large white or yellow onion, peeled, sliced, and separated into rings
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup flour
- salt + pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- ⅓ cup mayo
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon hot Chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray heavily with cooking spray.
- In a bowl whisk together egg whites and milk. Place breadcrumbs in a second bowl. Add flour, salt and pepper to taste, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a large zip lock bag, seal and shake to mix seasonings. Open the bag and add the onion rings. Seal and shake to coat the rings well. Take onion rings out and one at a time, dip into egg-milk mixture making sure to coat all sides, then into the breadcrumbs, also coating all sides. Place rings in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Spray heavily with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes (depending on how crispy you want them).
- While onion rings are baking, prepare the dipping sauce. Mix together mayo, ketchup, and hot chili sauce. Chill until ready to serve.