Easy Healthy Butternut Squash Soup – Make it, eat it, love it. And don’t bother telling anyone it’s probably the healthiest thing they’ve eaten all week!
I promise I don’t eat s’mores cupcakes and Milkyway brownies for every single meal. Sometimes I feel that way, but really I don’t. Sometimes I eat real food. Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If I’m really feeling up to it, I might even go the grilled pb&f route, which happens to by my favorite.
And sometimes, brace yourself…. I even eat healthy. Woah. Hard to believe with all of the sugary indulgent goodness that happens around here, I know. But it’s true. I actually do eat fairly balanced, health-conscious meals. In fact, I quite enjoy trying recipe makeovers, or finding incredibly tasty recipes that are both delicious and nutritious.
The real fun is in the challenge to get the husband on board.
“What do you mean you don’t want hummus and egg whites for dinner…?” 😉
So here’s the thing about this soup. I love butternut squash. LOVE it. and the husband likes it too. . . when it’s mashed with about a pound of butter. For the past year I’ve been wanting to try butternut squash soup because A. butternut squash is freaking delicious, and B. I have a serious love affair with soup.
This week while the husband was out of town, I gave it a go. Oh my gosh so good. But I wasn’t sure how he would take to it when he got back. . .
Conclusion: he totally loved it.
This soup is a major keeper. It’s easy (SO easy), yummy (a must, obviously), healthy (big time bonus), and quick. Amazing dinner on the table in under 30 minutes is qualification for a favorite in my book.
Make it, eat it, love it. And don’t bother telling anyone it’s probably the healthiest thing they’ve eaten all week. They won’t believe you because it’s so GOOD!
If you like this Butternut Squash Soup, you’ll love my Jalapeno Popper Soup, Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup, Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup, Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup, Western Cheeseburger Soup, and Enchilada Soup.
Easy Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups fat free milk, divided (may sub 1%)
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- optional: 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- optional: fresh green onions or parsley
- Place squash in a large microwave-safe container with a lid (such as a tupperware). Fill with about 1 inch of water. Place lid on top of container, slightly off-set so that one or two corners are uncovered. Microwave on high 3-4 minutes or until squash is very tender. Strainer liquid from container.
- In a blender or food processor, blend squash with 1 1/2 cups milk until well pureed. Add diced onion, pulse 30 seconds more.
- Transfer squash and onion puree to a large pot. Add remaining milk, butter, and flour. Cook over medium high heat 5-10 minutes, whisking throughout. Stir in salt, celery salt, cumin, and optional paprika. Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley if desired. Serve warm.