Easy Pesto Chicken Sandwiches you can whip up in a hurry. Just 6 ingredients!
Pesto is my latest obsession. And by obsession I mean – I want it for breakfast lunch and dinner every single day. It’s not as though I’ve never had pesto and I’m just now figuring out how utterly amazing it is (ohhhhh, it really is) because I’ve been enjoying pesto for years. But I’m in a food-mood. A pesto food mood. It happens.
Annnnnd on that note, let’s look at 5 billion pictures of a pesto sandwich shall we?
Okay not 5 billion, because really, how many ways can you look at a pesto sandwich?
But let’s talk details really quick. First off, there are only 6 ingredients in this recipe. SIX. And that is including the bread. I’m particularly fond of ciabatta bread but use your favorite sandwich bread or roll. Ciabatta is especially amazing when you are grilling your sandwich – panini style. I don’t have a panini press, but I have a George Foreman and it get’s the job done. The sandwich in these pictures is not grilled – but I did grill it right after snapping the pics. If you have a George or a panini press – grill these babies. If not that’s totally okay. You could also just toast the bread in a toaster oven (or regular oven!) before slapping it all together.
And I say slap because really, it’s SO fast – especially if you’ve already made the chicken ahead of time. And because I love you, I’ve shared a few notes on the recipe for easy shredded chicken.
Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 ciabatta rolls - (or similar sandwich rolls - ciabatta are my favorite)
- 2 chicken breasts - cooked and shredded (see note)
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup pesto - (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 slices provolone or swiss cheese
- Add shredded chicken, mayo, greek yogurt, and pesto to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Cut your ciabatta rolls in half horizontally. Place one slice of cheese on the bottom slice of each roll. Spread pesto chicken mixture on top of the cheese, then top with the other half of the roll. Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature. If you have a panini press or a george foreman, you can grill the sandwich in a flash (my favorite way to serve these!).