Cheesy hawaiian bbq chicken taquitos made in your crockpot! They are so good your family will beg you to make them again and again!
Oh do I have a stellar recipe for you today. A super simple, insanely delish, 110% family-friendly meal. And what’s better? It’s a crockpot recipe. Have I mentioned that I’m in love with my slow cooker? I use it all. year. round. Summer, winter, rain or shine, it mattereth not. It’s Thursday, I should use the slow cooker. Hey there’s a bank holiday coming up, I should bust out the slow cooker. It’s a bad hair day (um, I say this everyday…) I should definitely comfort myself with some slow cooker goodness.
I wouldn’t go so far to say that I’m obsessed but . . . yeah actually I’m a little obsessed.
These taquitos are out-of-this-world good. The bbq sauce is so simple and SO lip-smackin’ good that you’ll want to put it on anythingandeverything. It goes into the slow cooker with the chicken for a grand total of just 5 ingredients. FIVE measly ingredients make this juicy, sweet and sassy hawaiian bbq chicken stuff?? You betcha. Then you add a little cheese, some pineapple salsa, and a whole lotta ranch and you’re about to be the happiest taquito-eater in the history of ever.
If you’re short on time or don’t feel up to making the pineapple salsa, don’t. Seriously, it’s a amazing and you will love it but these taquitos are so good you will adore them just straight up plain without any extras. Of course I highly recommend the ranch for dipping because odds are that you have half a bottle chillin’ in your refrigerator door and everything, I repeat, everything is better with ranch. Am I right? Of course I am. It’s just a fact of life.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup original flavor bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 16 taco-sized soft tortillas (corn or flour)
- 1 -1½ cups shredded mexican-style or mozzarella cheese
- optional: ranch dressing for dipping
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl whisk together bbq sauce, 1 T garlic powder, pineapple juice, and liquid smoke until smooth.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Pour bbq sauce mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on high 3 hours or low 6 hours (if using frozen chicken breasts, you may need to increase the time by an hour or so)
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- About 20-30 minutes before serving, shred chicken in the crockpot (I use two forks to shred) and stir the shredded chicken so it soaks up any remaining juices in the pot.
- Preheat oven to broil and grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lay tortillas out on a flat surface. Sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons of shredded cheese in line down the middle of each tortilla. Top cheese with about 3-4 tablespoons shredded chicken. Tightly roll up tortillas and place them on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Spray rolled taquitos heavily with cooking spray. Cook in the oven (on high broil) for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melty and tortillas are crisp (if you're worried about them burning you can broil them on low for a little longer, 10-15 minutes)
- Serve warm with pineapple salsa and ranch if desired. Enjoy!