Learn how to make this easy healthy baked chicken parmesan for a simple and delicious meal that will be on your table in just 30 minutes.
I’m picky about my spaghetti noodles. Traditional spaghetti noodles topped with ground beef red sauce does nothing for me, but top those noodles with a buttery garlic sauce or crispy oven baked chicken parmesan and I’m a big fan. BIG fan. This is my favorite go-to version of homemade chicken parmesan. It’s healthier than traditional chicken parmesan – especially restaurant versions – but doesn’t sacrifice in the flavor or texture department. Another testament to my theory that healthy food doesn’t have to come in the form of protein meal bars and plain celery sticks.
For me, making a delicious and healthy dinner that pleases the whole family – even the husband – makes me feel like I’m winning at life. With a couple of little tricks, you’ll want to stay home for dinner instead of going out to Olive Garden. Adding garlic, extra seasoning, and fresh basil to your marinara sauce makes a world of difference in the flavor, and broiling the chicken at the very end makes it nice and crispy and gets that melty mozzarella cheese all bubbly and just barely browned to perfection. This lightened up classic will help you stick to your healthy eating goals without giving up one of your favorite comfort foods.
- 4 small-medium boneless skinless chicken breasts (if you only have large, you can cut 2 large breasts in half lengthwise to make four smaller fillets) pounded to even thickness
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup Italian style breadcrumbs (or plain breadcrumbs mixed with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil, plus more for topping
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a large baking pan.
- Brush chicken on both sides with oil, then season with salt and pepper on both sides. Stir together breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish and toss chicken in the breadcrumb mixture to coat on both sides. Arrange chicken on prepared baking dish.
- Bake chicken for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. While chicken is cooking, combine marinara sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, and basil in a medium sauce pan and stir over medium heat until hot throughout.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from oven and switch oven to broil. Top each chicken breasts with about ½ cup of marinara sauce and one slice of mozzarella cheese. Return to oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown. ( keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn).
- Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles and top with cracked black pepper and fresh basil (optional).