This easy healthy slow cooker chicken cacciatore is a tasty crockpot recipe with fantastic Italian flavors and just 10 minutes of hands-on time.
I’m about to brighten up your day with a little bit of crockpot magic and I’m going to tell you, this is without a doubt one of the best (maybe the absolute best!) slow cooker meals that will ever grace your kitchen. Chicken, pasta, veggies, all of it made in one pot with just 15 minutes of hands-on time and the slow cooker does the rest of the work.
And the answer is YES, even the pasta is made right there in the slow cooker – no need to boil separately. So this is truly a one pot meal. Heaven knows I can never have enough one-potters on my go-to list of weeknight recipes.
Even my husband – a mushroom, olive, and tomato hater (how can you hate tomatoes!?) loves this dish. Take a second to let that sink in. He hates three of the main ingredients in this dish and still devoured a giant plateful! That right there is the ultimate test. This is classic chicken cacciatore deliciousness, made in the slow cooker so all of those flavors marinate for hours to deliver mind blowing yumminess when dinner time rolls around. You’re going to go crazy for this dish.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR chicken thighs
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- ¼ cup capers
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti noodles
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 12 ounces tomato paste (one 12-ounce can OR two 6-ounce cans)
- optional: grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Lightly grease a slow cooker. Add water to the slow cooker, then whisk in flour. Arrange chicken in the slow cooker in a single layer, then top with tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, capers, capers, garlic, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on low OR 3-4 hours on high.
- Uncover slow cooker, add spaghetti noodles, spinach, and tomato paste, stir to combine. Cover and cook another 15-20 minutes. Stir again and serve topped with cracked black pepper, fresh thyme, and grated parmesan cheese if desired.