Soft, melt-in-your mouth lemon cookies STUFFED with golden oreos and frosted with lemon icing! These cookies are dangerously addicting!
Have you ever painted your house before? Not the inside, I’m talking about the outside. The inside is bad enough but the outside is ten times worse. We have aluminum siding and it’s a nasty yellow color. Yellow in general is not a terrible thing, I’d go for a lemon cream type of yellow. But this is dirty mucky 70’s yellow. To make things worse it’s all surrounded by brown trim. Even the garage door is brown. Once again, a nasty brown, not a pretty brown. Our front door was the same nasty brown when we moved in but we painted it a couple months after settling in. Now it is white but we are about to replace it with one that doesn’t have 300-year old stained glass with purple and blue flowers.
The mucho grande problemo we are running into is choosing a new color for our siding. We already know we want white trim to replace all of the brown stuff. But we’ve flip-flopped for weeks between a grayish-blue and a sage green for the rest of the house. So currently we have 9 different paint colors on the front of our house and our neighbors are beginning to give us weird looks. Don’t worry folks, we do intend to paint the whole thing in one cohesive color, don’t stress about the value of your property just yet.
We’ve pretty much ruled out the blues and this point and have decided on green but man alive you wouldn’t believe how difficult it is to find the right shade of green for a house. We tried two new colors on the house yesterday and they were awful. So awful. I’d paint a picture for you but trust me, you do not want the visual that is in my head right now. I’ll spare you the painful description but I think “putrid” is a pretty good word to leave you with.
Okay forget that word, it doesn’t really go with what we are about to discuss which is dessert. In fact it’s cookies. Obviously. I’m sure you’ve noticed from the pictures that we are talking about cookies today. But! These aren’t just any cookies. These are the softest, melt-in-your-mouth lemon cookies everrrr in the history of the whole entire world. Plus they have frosting. Frosting make everything seventeen hundred times better. And that’s not even the best part!
The best part is what’s in the cookies. Inside these amazing cookies you will find ultra-soft and buttery GOLDEN OREOS to sink your teeth into. Your mother was wise, it’s what’s inside that counts.
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 16 golden oreos
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Add egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and mix until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll about 3 tablespoons of dough into a ball. Break the dough ball into two halves. Press one golden oreo into the one half so that it squishes out around the sides of the oreo. Press the remaining half of the cookie dough ball on top of the oreo and smooth out the dough so that it forms a slightly flattened ball around the oreo and the oreo is completely covered.
- Place cookie on prepared baking sheet and repeat the process with remaining dough and oreos. Bake 12-15 minutes until cookies begin to turn a very light golden color around the edges. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing by creaming together all icing ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 10-20 seconds until icing is pourable. Pour icing onto cooled cookies. Allow icing to cool and set. Store cookies in airtight container up to 1 week.
**cookies adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod