Chicken Enchilada Pasta Skillet – Everything you love about a gooey cheesy chicken enchilada made in just 30 minutes on the stovetop!
Today I’m writing to you from…. PHILLY! My husband has been here once before but I’m a newbie. Yesterday we did “the stuff”. You know, Independence Hall, Washington Square, Benjamin Franklin Museum, Liberty Bell and so on and so forth. Funny story about those last two. The Benjamin Franklin Museum used to be free but apparently they just renovated it and now charge you to go through it (wha…?!) so we were cheap and um, just walked through the gift shop and around the courtyard where they’ve dug out holes in the ground so you can see down to the remnants of the foundations for BF’s house.
Annnnnd the line for the Liberty Bell tour was freakishly long, like, Matterhorn anyone?? (If you know what I’m talking about, bless your D-Land loving heart) But there is actually a viewing window right next to where the bell is and a big ole plaque so I got a good look through the window (big window), read up on my bell history, and called it good. Come on, I was hungry – to the max. So we skipped the long line for the tour and stood in a lesser-long line for Jim’s Steaks. Been serving up Philly cheesesteaks since 1939 and I’d say they’ve definitely got it down by now – so crazy good! I want like…ten more. (P.S. have you tried my recipe for Classic Philly Cheesesteaks?? Click HERE to check it out!)
But on to another cheesy super delicious subject – enchiladas. Actually, Chicken Enchilada Pasta made in an easy peasy skillet. Ha-le-lu-jah! (sang by a large choir with gusto) I’d seen a few versions of this on well, Pinterest, duh. It sounded so yummy I had to make it – with my own spin of course. This one features diced chicken, avocados, and penne pasta. You’d never guess that pasta would go with something like enchiladas but it does. Ohhhhh it does. This dinner is so easy and so good, (and quick – 30 minutes!) you’ll want to make it again and again!
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 12 ounces penne pasta, cooked until tender (use package's instructions)
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 6 corn tortillas (white or yellow), sliced into ½ inch strips
- ½ cup shredded mexican-style cheese (monteray, jack cheese, whatever you like)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1 cup crunchy tortilla strips (you can find these with the salad toppings at your grocery store)
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Cook pasta and set aside. Season chicken with salt and pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Spray a large pan or nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through (6-8 minutes).
- Add enchilada sauce, sour cream, salt, and chili powder, stir to combine. Stir in cooked pasta and sliced tortillas. Add cheese and stir until melty. Top with avocado (optional), crunchy tortilla strips, and chopped cilantro.