Fluffy, cool and creamy Cranberry Salad with walnuts and marshmallow – easy to make ahead and perfect for the holidays!
There is snow. I can see it right now from where I am sitting. And this, my friends, is my favorite kind of snow. (What? There are kinds of snow?) Yes there are kinds of snow. (I wish there were flavors of snow but, not the case.) There is the kind of snow that makes itself at home all over my house and the road and my driveway. And then Then there is the kind that is up on the mountain top and not in my front yard. I don’t have to shovel or snowblow or brush it off of my car and it looks purrrrrdy. I can also visit this kind of snow for a pre-determined length of time when I choose to.
I am a fan of this kind of snow.
But I still can’t believe there is snow outside. Sunday there was no snow, Monday there was snow. Just like that. I woke up to it. It snuck in while I was sleeping. And I think that a few weeks snuck away while I was sleeping because HOW ON EARTH IS IT ALREADY HALF WAY THROUGH NOVEMBER. Time is so sneaky. And before you know it – I’m sorry but it’s true – it will be Thanksgiving. Which, I am 100% excited for besides the fact that immediately after Thanksgiving is December and I am not prepared for it to be December.
But speaking of Thanksgiving – this cranberry salad. SO FLUFFY!!! I love this fluffy cranberry and marshmallow and walnut salad. But hey if you aren’t a fan of walnuts, skip em. Or replace them with pecans – whatever you want.
And did you know there is pineapple in this dish?? You wouldn’t taste it and say hey, we should call this Pineapple Salad, because the pineapple isn’t that prominent. But it makes the whole thing come together when you soak those chopped cranberries with sugar and pineapple and a hint of lime. It’s what makes the dish all tangy and sweet and perfect. And fluffy!
Can you tell I’m a fan of the fluffiness?? Because I so am.
- 1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries, finely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts (I used Diamond of California shelled walnuts)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Combine chopped cranberries, sugar, pineapple (including juice), lime juice, and walnuts in a bowl and stir. Cover and chill for at least one hour. (or up to overnight)
- Add heavy cream to a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer (you can do it by hand but it will take much longer) until stiff peaks form. Stir in marshmallows. Stir in cranberry mixture. Cover and chill for 4 hours or up to overnight. Serve cold.