In just 10 minutes you can make this crispy Air Fryer Asparagus with minimal oil, minimal ingredients and maximum flavor! Serve as an easy side dish or no-fuss appetizer!
Looking for more crave-able veggies? You need to try my Honey Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots, Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze, Instant Pot Baked Potatoes, and Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower.
Why This Recipe Works
Super Simple: Roast asparagus is one of my favorite side dishes, especially in spring and summer when asparagus is in season! Instead of turning on the oven, you can make air fryer asparagus in just about 10 minutes. For extra flavor, I like to squeeze some fresh lemon on top and sprinkle it with some grated parmesan.
Pairs with Dinner: Air fryer asparagus with parmesan is an amazingly easy side dish that pairs with so many different options. Try pairing this vegetable side dish with my one pot lemon herb chicken and rice, grilled salmon with lemon garlic butter, or with a garlic butter steak and potatoes skillet!
Flavorful: Asparagus is a vibrant, flavorful vegetable that gets even more flavorful when cooked in the air fryer! The edges get browned perfectly which adds extra flavor, and the inside is tender and juicy! Instead of steaming asparagus or having to roast for a long time in the oven, you can simply pop it into the air fryer and get an amazingly flavorful result!
This air fryer asparagus recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Asparagus: You can use as much asparagus as will fit into your air fryer! This recipe is a small batch of roasted asparagus that is for one to two people, but feel free to make more!
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray: It is important to use olive oil because that adds a lovely flavor here. Just make sure the cooking spray that you use is compatible with your air fryer!
- Salt: Add salt to taste.
- Lemon: After the asparagus has cooked in the air fryer, squeeze with some fresh lemon before serving.
- Parmesan: You can also sprinkle the warm asparagus with some parmesan before serving if desired!
Here’s How to Make It
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat & Prep: Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Spritz the asparagus spears with cooking spray and season well with salt. (photos 1-2)
- Air Fry: Air fry for 7 minutes until just tender and slightly golden around the outside- for thinner spears, reduce the cooking time for 5 minutes. (photo 3)
- Serve: On a warm serving dish, spritz the cooked asparagus with fresh lemon and scatter immediately with the parmesan, if using, so that the cheese melts slightly onto the spears. Serve and enjoy! (photo 4)
- To trim your asparagus, cut off the tough, woody part of the stem, about 2 inches from the bottom. Or, you can snap the woody part off with your hands by folding the asparagus spear, and the tough ends should come off pretty easily!
- Keep asparagus in a single layer! When placing the asparagus into the air fryer, make sure that it is in one single layer so that each one can get crispy and cooked!
- To save time, prep ahead and wash and cut the woody stems off of the asparagus a day before you want to serve the asparagus!
- Don’t overcook it! I would rather eat asparagus that is slightly underdone than over done, so keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn’t get overcooked! It should be bright green and slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Make it your own! You can season your asparagus however you would like, try sprinkling it with some red pepper flakes for a touch of spice, or sprinkle with parsley for some more herby flavors!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can place any leftover air fried asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, pop the asparagus in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until heated through.
Asparagus can end up tough if you keep the tough, woody ends on the stems. So make sure you trim any of those thick ends off to ensure tender, al dente asparagus!
More Easy Side Dish Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Potato Wedges
- Sautéed Garlic Green Beans
More Asparagus Recipes You’ll Love
- Sesame Glazed Baked Salmon and Asparagus (sheet pan meal!)
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Herb Butter Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packs
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus with Potatoes
- Skillet Garlic Herb Chicken and Asparagus (reader favorite!)
Did you try this recipe? FANTASTIC. Please rate the recipe below and be sure to tag me on social when you share a photo of your CDLC creation!
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 6-8 fat asparagus spears - trimmed
- olive oil cooking spray
- salt - to taste
- juice of ¼ lemon
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan - optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Spritz the asparagus spears with cooking spray and season well with salt.
- Air fry for 7 minutes until just tender and slightly golden around the outside – for thinner spears, reduce the cooking time to 5 minutes.
- On a warm serving dish, spritz the cooked asparagus with fresh lemon and scatter immediately with the parmesan, if using, so that the cheese melts slightly onto the spears.